Friday, November 8, 2013

Fulfilling a dream

When I was growing up I made some wonderful memories of visiting my Grandma Allan's home in Ottawa, Ontario.  I used to spend hours pouring over old photos, reading books, and thumbing through stacks of Uncle Phillips National Geographic magazines.  On one such occasion, I remember coming across a photo of a young Japanese woman reading a book in a little shelter on the edge of a pond.  The caption described the setting as a park oasis in the middle of Tokyo, a city with such a dense population but teeming with wonderful parks such as this one.  The setting looked idyllic, and I have just never forgotten that picture.

Well, when we found out this spring we were moving to Tokyo, Japan, I have oft remembered that park picture and dreamed of sitting in that same place.  As most of you know, I go into Tokyo most every Friday, and have been to a lot of these wonderful parks.  Ueno, Yoyogi, Showa, Hibaya, Shinjuku Gyoen....I looked for this spot to no avail.  Did it exist?  Was I daydreaming the location?   These were all beautiful places...but not what I was looking for.    Last Saturday as I was reading on yet another visit Japan website, I saw it.  The spot.  I couldn't believe it.  Happo-en park truly was a tiny park in this city and not in any of my numerous sightseeing books.  I had finally found it!!

So today I went.  I can't say it was the most beautiful spot I have ever seen (for there are so so many here) but it was an utterly tranquil, quiet, and wonderful place.  There were very few other people there, it is truly a unknown treasure for it was mostly full of brides getting there photos taken.  I think I counted 8 different bridal parties.
So I had my photo taken in the spot by my friend Jamie...and I fulfilled a dream...

                                                 the location...my iphone camera could not do it justice


                                                                 Finally fulfilling my dream

 

                                                                 The best exploring partner EVER

                 

                                                          Other views of Happo-en

                                                          One of many brides    






See ya later!    

3 comments:

  1. Mom and I are really enjoying reading about your adventures! Let's Skype soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful spot, gorgeous shots, and what a cool ending to the story! awesome to connect the dots after such a long time. love it.

    ReplyDelete