Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Climbing Mt. Fuji...to the summit and beyond.

Every year over 300,000 people of all ages attempt the trek to the top of Mt. Fuji.  At 3,776 meters (12,388 feet) above sea level, it is Japans highest peak.  Still considered an active volcano, the pressure inside of it has been rising at an unprecedented rate ever since the 2011 earthquake.  Projected to erupt in the next year or two, it has been at the top of my bucket list to do, and do before it decides to do just that.

The climbing season is very short, only July and August, due to there being snow on the mountain most of the year.  August can become very crowded due to the Japanese being out of school most of that month.  Mount Fuji is considered a god and many people climb it to get closer to their dead ancestors.  Hence we chose July.  However, July can be a big if with weather.  Blizzards, hailstorms, sleet, and driving rain have all been known to prevent access to the top.  My good friend Jamie went just the week before us and were forced to turn around due to whiteout conditions near the top.

So, on July 23rd my friend Heather and I decided to go for it.

We woke up at 1:00 am to catch our bus from base at 2:00.  Feeling completely exhausted before we even began was tough.  We arrived at Fuji 5th station at about 4:30 ready to climb.


2:00 am selfie


Mount Fuji is really not all that beautiful up close.

First things first, I just had to get my souvenir hiking stick.  Each station you reach on the mountain, you can get your stick branded for reaching that level.



Got my stick, ready to go!


Good morning world!

We started hiking at the 5th station, you can start at the base, but most people do go up to the fifth station and begin from there.


The trail begins


no stamps on that stick yet!


 We made it to the 7th station! So far so good.  Up until this point, the trail was made up of lots of loose volcanic rock.  It was quite taxing to walk on, like gravel or sand.  This picture was taken on the edge of a railing with my boots on a bench, which is a big no no here in Japan.  I was given the evil eye, and we quickly managed a picture.



Despite our transgression, they did brand my stick



Despite being on Mount Fuji, Japan still manages to provide nice restrooms!

mountain hut



Starting at the 7th station there are several mountain huts, mainly used by those who decide to do the mountain in 2 days.  They often wake very early to see the sunrise at the top.
Here is the view of the various huts up the side of the mountain


From here, past the 7th station, the terrain changed alot.  It became more like rock climbing.  Sometimes you had to basically crawl, using your hands for support.




 We finally made it to the torii gate at the top of the 7th station, this took some work and serious climbing to reach.  We kept passing mountain huts, and thought it would never end.


Feeling great at the 8th!


Here we came to a large group of monks who were praying and chanting.  There was a small shrine here they were bowing to.  They posed for a picture at the end, and I snapped this one.



They turned and started back down the mountain at this point, and I can't help but think their shoe of choice couldn't have helped!


Loving the clouds...

As we started out again, the air was considerably cooler.  A welcome feeling.


Never ending rock, finally went back to the sandy gravel.  I had a love hate with both, and grew to loathe each!




This is the start of the 9th station, and every ounce of my body was exhausted at this point.  I felt very nauseous and dizzy, and needed a lengthy break.  Heather pulled out her oxygen and we both took a few whiffs to help with the altitude sickness.


prayer coins in the torii gate

ugh...burned out, but smiling!


Almost there!

Those last 600 meters, took us almost 2 hrs, and it was literally a take two steps and rest type of scenario.
The summit was right there, but it looked MILES away.


This torii gate marks the official summit, but the 10 steps beyond that gate were torture!


But, we made it!!!!


Enjoying some VERY expensive noodles at the summit


They were excellent!


Calling home from the top

I was very surprised to find a kind of tiny town at the top.  Little shops, restaurant, a shrine, and a place to send postcards for a small fortune.  Heather was really feeling the altitude, so we did not stay long. 


The edge of the crater



The crater was a little nerve racking.  It was easily  70 feet deep, with very loose rock all around.  Taking pictures and getting close were not a great idea.  It was a magnificent crater though!


7 hours up, conquered, ready to go back!

Going down was considerably easier for me.  The path we used is the main descent trail, and is the trail they use to transport supplies up the mountain.  Though much longer, it was much easier on my body.


There wasn't much it terms of places to rest and stop, but nor did I really ache for it.  This was our view for about 4 hours.

Many people I have talked with consider the way down harder on their knees and feet, so I was a bit of a minority in this area, I preferred it greatly.


Back at the 5th and beat


July 23rd, 2014.  Been there, Did it!


On the way home, our bus stopped at a rest stop that had a starbucks.  I guess it must have been obvious by my harried appearance what I had done that day...for this is what they wrote on my cup!  Made me smile.

But, hiking for 11 hours in the sun at that elevation took its toll.  I strained a muscle in my leg badly, and my lip was left with 2nd degree burns.  I ended up with 8 blisters and a VERY painful lip for several days.


No exaggeration, this was my lip when I woke up.  


So Andrew gave me this, and I felt very Asian...I fit right in!  Everyone wears these here, and its completely normal.

Mt. Fuji was an incredible experience.  If you are ever here in July or August, you must attempt.  ( I should add 7 people on our bus did not make it to the top).  But it left me with lifelong memories with my great friend Heather, I will never ever forget!









1 comment: