Friday, July 25, 2014

Nagashi Somen

This last week all the mothers at Audreys school were invited for a summer lunch at her school.  The dress code was 'yukata', or summer kimono, and since I did not own one, was assured they would provide one for those of us who did not own one.

I ended up having to take Tommy, Stanley, and Molly, and I am so glad I did because they experienced one of the neatest cultural experiences to date.  In Japan, their equivalent to our summer BBQ is nagashi Somen.
They took a bamboo tree, cut it in half, and, placing it on an incline, ran water from one end to the other.  The bamboo was easily 30 feet long, and at the bottom was a bucket with a strainer inside. The bucket was for the water, and strainer to catch the noodles that were not used.   At the top someone put the noodles down the 'slide' and we were all to sit or stand on either side to catch the noodles with our chopsticks, put in our bowls and add whatever toppings we so desired.


Pictures were very difficult to get, but this is the lady in charge of sending the noodles down.


They had 5 bowls each of noodles...then I stopped counting...


Standard fare


Molly and Tommy were thrilled to be allowed to be in charge of sending the noodles down with close supervision



I love the miso soup base, and added onion, pickled cabbage, and chicken to mine.   Toppings included various types of fish, chicken, and seasonal vegetables.


I was given instructions on how to put a kimono on by this sweet lady Machiyo.  I had no idea so many steps were involved, and how painstaking it was to get each correct, or the finished product would not look right.  I was impressed.


I was also given instruction on folding it properly at the end.  Wow!  I don't want these ladies to see how I fold my laundry!

I walked away thinking two things...I need to buy a kimono, and where can I find a piece of bamboo like that so we can do this tonight for dinner!

2 comments: