Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Azalea Festival, Nezu Shrine

When 3000 azalea bushes start to compete the result can be quite beautiful.  The Nezu shrine here in Tokyo has a garden that does just that.  Being a Tuesday I was very surprised at how busy it was.  I suppose I should never underestimate crowds here in Japan.  No matter the day.  But my love of azaleas began in Grandmas front yard on Highbridge Road.  She had a big beautiful pink one that just burst with color every May.  I can't say they are a very beautiful bush when they are not blooming, but I love when they do.  So when I heard of this festival I had to go.





Main entrance




Not nearly as impressive as Kyotos Torii gates, but still pretty


droves of people




In full bloom





This shrine was extremely busy a little to my surprise for people saying their prayers.  The line was easily 300 deep, this is the a view of the line up to the outer wall.



Inside view

From here I went over to the Yasakuni shrine as its been a hive of activity as of late.  It is a highly controversial shrine to the dead who lost their lives in Japanese wars.  China and Korea are always watching to see if the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is going to pay his respects. The political controversy began  in 1978, when fourteen class A was criminals were among the 2.5 million people enshrined at Yasakuni.  This week the prime minister sent a special gift to the shrine and sent several law makers yesterday.

Next to the shrine stands the Yushukan, a museum that commemorates and documents Japans wars from the right wing.  Very pro Japan and utterly fascinating.


Yasakuni


The many media vehicles

I was actually very glad to not have a little one underfoot for this day out...it was quite a bit of walking and train hopping...but worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment